The Processing Plant
- To cope with the annual growth the factory capacity is increased annually
- The factory is fully computerised and every step is managed by an integrated PLC Management System
- The plant is designed to ensure excellent processing quality and yields.
- The factory is very energy efficient with the bulk of supply coming from solar and other renewable sources.
- All processing is done on a batch basis with full traceability from farm to final customer.
- Our computer programmed drying process substantially increases the quality and the shelf life of the nuts
- Prior to cracking, each batch is checked to confirm effective curing.
- Each grower’s product is processed individually in batches of up to up to 40 tons.
- A computerised system ensures 100% traceability throughout the entire process.
- We use electrical photographic colour sorting technology
- We also make use of a saline hydro-separation system.
- These systems remove shell pieces and immature and blemished nuts.
- By using this process, roasting yields can be optimised and dust particles are removed.
- Nuts are quality graded and sized into 12 different styles.
- After sorting and sizing, nuts are dried to a kernel moisture content of 1.5%.
- The temperature and humidity levels are carefully controlled and monitored via the PLC to ensure enhanced shelf life.
Final Grading and Packaging
- Prior to packing, secondary and final sorting takes place.
- Nuts are gas-flushed and vacuum-sealed in a compacted brick.
- Nuts are packed in a five layer co-extruded vacuum bag.
- Standard pack is 11.34kg (25lbs)
- PPECB (Perishable Products Export Control Board) is contracted to inspect product prior to shipment.
Storing and Cooling
- After packaging, product is stored at 10ºC.
Optimum quality and shelf life are maintained.